I was browsing through the pictures entries of photography-for-safety competition. If you know me, I’d normally point to some defects instead of acknowledging that the sky is blue and that the birds are singing…
I’m not sure why this even qualifies at all. What is the danger for turning off the light? Killing the lights might kill you? How likely is that? Please tell me what is the risk associated with the above activity.
In fact, I think opening the circuit (turning the light off) is much safer than closing it (turning the light on). If there was a short somewhere along the line awaiting for the switch, closing or completing the circuit would just cause that zap, too high of current flowing and that’s your chance of fire.
Whoever thinks there is a risk of fire by using cellphone at gas station is an idiot. Well, maybe not an idiot but very gullible. Oh, hey, everyone seems to be avoiding it, I’ll do that too.
There has never been a confirmed incident involving cellphone fire at gas station anywhere on earth. The cases of fire at gas stations were due to static electricity instead, not cell phones. Basic science. If you’re outside the car, stay outside. If you’re inside the car, please stay inside. The rubbing of your clothing with the seat’s fabric causes electrostatic charges to build up. There is a diminutive possibility that dislodged battery might cause a spark but I doubt that the energy level is high enough to ignite a fire.
Let me give you a scenario. Workers in coal mines have used wire runs connected to battery since ages. They short together the parallel cables that go in deep into the mines that complete the circuit and light up the lamp. Why hasn’t that caused explosion for almost 30 years? (until one day somebody decided to change the battery and that caused 400-odd people almost instantaneously combusted when the circuit was closed.)
The learning here is – before you forward any reminders to your families, friends, or colleagues – think about how true the claim is first. Reach out to your senses.